I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Friday, July 27, 2012

The Best Green Smoothie (the one my kids drink before I get any!(=)

I've posted a few green smoothie recipes on here, and I've given this one out to people on facebook or in person in the past, but I felt like it needed to be in here in its own post because it is so awesome.

I've found the secret to a yummy green smoothie. If you don't mind the taste of spinach (like me),  you can just throw whatever you have together and it will be fine. But to get your kids to drink it without loading it up with sugar you have to mask that flavor, and the best way is with juicy flavorful fruits. Red grapes and oranges have become my secret weapon. At the same time, though, I made one yesterday and forgot the banana and tasted the spinach. So this combination, to me, is the best. It ends up making more than 32 oz of smoothie, which is enough for me to have two good-sized glasses and my kids still have as much as they want.

So here's the recipe:
1 1/2 c water
1 apple (doesn't really matter what kind)
1 orange (sometimes I do 1 c mandarin oranges instead)
1 (frozen) banana
1 1/2 c red grapes (I want to try it with green, but haven't yet)
2 c spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment