I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Salsa

Last year we had an amazing garden, and we got a TON of romas. We decided to save them all for late fall, when my friend was planning to have a salsa-making party. Let me tell you what, that was the best salsa we've ever had. Richard dreamed about it for 10 months until this fall, and we planted over 20 tomato plants in preparation. Unfortunately that didn't work out so well, but Winco was having a really good sale on romas, so we lucked out.

Our first batch made about 12 pints, and that went WAY too fast. Off I went to Winco to get more veggies, and we made a second batch. We had a slight mishap with the seasonings, but Richard was able to work his magic and make it super tasty. We brought 4 quarts to Thanksgiving, and they all disappeared. And then everyone wanted the recipe, so here it is!

This is my friend's uncle's recipe, but I'm sure he doesn't mind sharing.

12 c tomatoes
1 1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c sugar
3 onions, chopped
4-6 chopped green peppers
3-6 chopped Anaheim peppers (or whatever you want to add for spicy)
3 T salt
1 T black pepper
1 T or more garlic powder
cilantro (optional)

Peel tomatoes by blanching in boiling water and removing skins. Simmer all ingredients for 2ish hours or until it's as thick as you want it to be. (You can also add 1/2 c dried onion toward the end of the simmering to make it thicker if you want.)

Put in jars, leave about 1/4 inch at top, water bath for 15 minutes to sterilize and seal.

Variation: Use only 1 c vinegar and add 1/4 c lime juice.


Makes about 6-8 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment