I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Friday, September 20, 2013

Zucchini Bites

I love these SO MUCH. They're pretty quick to pull together, and they're tastier and more filling than hash browns, which I've been craving lately.

Zucchini is a super versatile and yummy vegetable. Nothing compares to the warm squeaky taste of cooked zucchini chunks. Ah! I just love zucchini. Grilled, baked, fried, shredded, whatever. It's a low-calorie vegetable, and a good source of folate, potassium, and vitamin A. It's basically a pumpkin. (Hint: orange veggies are usually rich in potassium and vitamin A)

So here's how you make these yummies:
 
Zucchini Bites

1 c grated zucchini (be sure to squeeze out excess water)
1 egg
1/4 onion, diced
1/4 c cheese
1/4 c bread crumbs
salt and pepper
Preheat frying pan or griddle to med-high heat with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients and mix well (I use my hands).
Form small patties, 1-2 inches across, and place on cooking surface.
Cook 2-5 mins per side, until crispy light brown.

And here's what they look like:


 I see a lot of different versions of these floating around on Pinterest and various other websites, but this is the best method I've found to avoid sogginess and get the best flavor and fully-cooked-ness that I'm always looking for.

These end up more like eggy hash browns than anything else, and I just love the flavor. They're a great source of protein too, so they fill up my prego belly for at least a little while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment