I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friday = Fail Lunch

Ok, I admit it. I'm not perfect. Big shocker, right?

Yesterday I did my usual routine of looking through the fridge for leftover veggies and coming up with something to make out of them. I had cooked up a huge pot of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots the night before, and then everyone left before dinner so it didn't get eaten. I looked at the very full tupperware and instead of thinking "oh that would be yummy", I thought "I should make a smoothie out of that."

Not the best idea I ever had.

Turns out smoothies work better with fresh veggies, not overcooked frozen ones. Also, through reading some suggested smoothie recipes in a couple different books I found that grapes would probably be the best fruit pairing for the veggies I had, and we were out of grapes. So I did what I could with what I had, and it just never tasted right. I was hoping to make it tasty enough for everyone to enjoy, but as it was I enjoyed it just fine and drank the whole thing. I'm not going to share my recipe, though, as I deemed it a failure.

What I DID want to post about is the super easy dinner I made. It's not the healthiest, but it's super easy. This is my last-minute I-don't-want-to-cook-tonight meal, and my family loves it.

Bagel Pizzas
(My mom and I discussed this last night, and although the dish resembles Hawaiian pizza it's actually more like a sandwich, since it has mayo and mustard. But whatever, bagel pizza is more fun to say than bagel sandwich with pineapple and cheese.)
I made it slightly more healthy last night by using a real pineapple instead of canned slices. I did this because the pineapple at the store was on sale and it sounded good :)
What I did:
1. Separate bagels, and spread your choice of mayo and/or mustard on tops. (You could make this more healthy by using whole wheat bagels.)
2. Add a slice of deli ham to each bagel. I use the thicker ham slices that come in a rectangular package and cut each slice in half. Fits perfectly on a bagel this way. I think it's Bar S brand.
3. Add a pineapple slice on top of the ham on each bagel. (Now, if you're going the healthier route and decided on fresh pineapple, you might want to grill it first. Fresh pineapple is super tough, and it will make the pizza difficult to eat. Grilling it brings out all the juice and makes it much easier to eat. As an added note, if you leave the core in the pineapple and eat it along with the rest you are getting the most vitamin- and nutrient-packed part of the fruit.)
4. Add a couple of slices of mozzarella cheese (my mom insists on Swiss cheese, but blech) to the top of the pineapple on each bagel.
5. Broil on high until the cheese starts to brown and the bagels are toasted.

SOOOO easy, oder? I usually make two pizzas for each person in my family, and they all get eaten. The bad part is that they're so addicting, and it's a lot of bread. Like I said, not the healthiest meal, but super easy. It takes me about 30 mins to put together, and if you have helpers it would go even quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment