I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Veggie Pancakes (yummier than they sound!)

I found something intriguing on Pinterest the other day...shocker, I know.

My daughter hates green food. She used to eat spinach, and she'll have the occasional carrot, but if it's green she just KNOWS it tastes yucky. Kind of like how my 11-month-old KNOWS what candy looks like, even though he's never had any. I've spent the last several months trying to find ways to sneak veggies into my child, and some things have been more successful than others.

THIS is successful! She loves them! And they're pretty easy to make.

Here's what I did:
1. Boil a sweet potato. The way I see it, the size doesn't matter. You need about 1-2 cups of potato, and if you end up with more you can just put it in the fridge for a yummy smoothie later :)
2. Start up the food processor, and add the ingredients!
  • 1-2 cups cooked sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup (ish) milk
 
  • 1 (small) handful spinach (if you do too much, they come out green)
 
  • 1 banana
 
  • 1 cup zucchini (I didn't have a fresh one on hand, so I used leftover frozen zucchini and it turned out just fine)
 
  • 3 eggs
 
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • Dash (or two) cinnamon
 
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2-1 Tbsp sugar
Let it all mix together until well-blended and smooth, like pancake batter.

4. Cook 'em up just like pancakes. Easy peasy! If you have more batter than you currently need, it keeps well in the fridge until the next time you want some.

I added mini chocolate chips for my 3 yr old, and she tops them with syrup. My 11-month-old eats them plain, and I enjoy them that way as well. I'm also a crazy head who tops pancakes with applesauce, and I think these would taste good that way as well :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment