I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Friday, October 5, 2012

Post-Run Protein Smoothie

I know those protein powders are all the rage at fitness stores, but I'm just not interested. I prefer natural foods, and the idea of extracting part of a food just to get one benefit from it is kind of weird to me. But that's just me. If that's what you like, go ahead and keep drinking them. I've tried them several times, and they are definitely yummy :)

Here's what I love after a run. Honestly some days I go for a run just as an excuse to come home and make this smoothie before bed :) I ran my first 10k this past March, kind of last-minute and a little under-trained, and my husband met me at the finish line with a Peanut Butter Mood smoothie from Jamba Juice. I. Fell. In. Love. I've become a bit of a peanut butter addict in the past few years, and MAN was that smoothie ecstatically perfect after my 6-mile run. The drawback, of course, is that it costs over $4 at Jamba Juice. But heck, I get peanut butter, milk, and bananas for free from WIC, so why not improvise?

So here's what I do:
1. Put 1 cup of milk (doesn't matter the fat content, it all has the same amount of protein), 2 GENEROUS Tbsp of peanut butter, and 1 frozen banana into your Blendtec (because, come on, who has anything inferior?) and press "Smoothie".
Enjoy!

I actually did a comparison between the protein content of this smoothie and my dad's protein powder, and mine has a little bit more. Plus all the yumminess of peanut butter, and the health benefits of bananas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment