I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Friday, October 5, 2012

Simple Protein Lunch: Quinoa and Blackbean Taquito

I just got home from a 3 mile run with the kids (and as anyone will tell you, 3 miles with a stroller is like 5 miles without) and I am HUNGRY! I want some protein, but substance as well. I usually make a Peanut Butter Smoothie, but I didn't think that would cut it today.

Last night I made a Southwest Sweet Potato and Quinoa Casserole, and ended up with some leftover quinoa and black beans. In my adventurousosity yesterday, I also made some Tomato Almond Spread, which is DELICIOUS. Richard doesn't like tomatoes unless they're cooked, but he likes this spread, so that's saying something. Anyway he came home for lunch and put together some ham and cheese sandwiches topped with the paste, and it gave me an idea.

So here's what I did:
1. Toast one side of a whole wheat tortilla. Not enough that it's crispy, just so it's a little golden brown.
2. Spread Tomato Almond Paste on the toasted side of the tortilla.
3. Heat a little bit of cooked quinoa with a little bit of drained and rinsed black beans. I probably did about 1/4 c of each. You could do this in the microwave, but I already had a hot frying pan so that's what I used.
4. Spoon your protein mixture onto your pasted-up tortilla, and wrap tight into a taquito.
5. Toast each side of the taquito in the frying pan.
Enjoy!

Quinoa is a great source of protein. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor, but it's growing on me. I like it mixed in with other foods so it's not the dominating flavor, but you still get the texture. It's a lot of tiny balls, and when you pop them between your teeth...I don't know. It's just fun, and I like it :) Whenever I make something with quinoa, I always make too much so that I can throw it into other recipes later on without having to worry about rinsing it and cooking it first. I made 1 cup uncooked, which makes about 3 cups cooked, and each recipe usually calls for 1 cup cooked, so it will last the week at least :)

No comments:

Post a Comment