I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Quinoa Zucchini and Carrot Muffins

Pinterest failed me last week. BIG time.

As I was making this recipe I kept thinking, this is SO MUCH butter, and it look SO WET that there's no way it will turn into muffins. I should have listened to myself.
Burned on the outside, sunken in the middle, and what's with all those air pockets? Terrible recipe. The comments on the blog all said it worked for them, so maybe I'm just broken, but it made no sense.

So I looked up muffin ratios and found that recipe to be WAY off in terms of baking powder, and there were way too many eggs and too much butter and way too much sugar.

Now this was the only such recipe I could find, and I was (and still am) determined to use up that 20 lb bag of carrots I bought at Costco, so I decided to come up with my own. And it turned out pretty good :) I'd like to try one more time and see if I can't perfect it, but here's what I have right now. They're a little heavy, so I'm thinking the zucchini wasn't quite wet enough and a little milk would help. Any muffin experts out there are welcome to chime in.

Jill's Quinoa Zucchini and Carrot Muffins
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 c butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 c grated zucchini
1 c grated carrots
1 c cooked quinoa

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and vanilla. Stir in veggies.
Add dry ingredients to wet until mixed, then add cooked quinoa.
Divide into muffin cups.
Bake for 15-20 mins at 350 F.

Makes about 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment