I am not a vegetarian, vegan, or anything. I am not on a crash diet, flush, or fast. I'm just a young mother trying to eat better and get my kids to do the same. I fell in love with vegetables during my last pregnancy, and that's usually what I have for lunch. Most of my reason for starting this blog is to document the simplicity of the healthy meals I eat so that others can enjoy them as well, even in a short amount of time (or with one hand, as is often my case).

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Simple Spinach Artichoke Pizza

Lately I've been making food based on the hope of squashing a bad craving. The other night for dinner I was feeling like a huge plate of nachos. Probably not the healthiest choice. I started wondering how bad it would be to add spinach to nachos...that's when I decided I should probably make something that isn't cheese based.

I always start with spinach. It's one of the best veggies you can eat, loaded with iron and folate. And I just can't get away from the combination of spinach and mozzarella. Cheese is terrible for you, but sooooo yummy! Just don't eat too much, I guess :) But like I've said before - whatever you have to do to a veggie to get yourself to eat it, DO IT!

This took 5 minutes to prep and 2 minutes to cook.
Here's what I did:
1. Spread a (whole wheat) tortilla THINLY with ranch dressing.

2. Chop up a handful of spinach and throw it on the tortilla.
3. Add 1 or 2 artichoke hearts. I bought a really simple, cheap, store-brand can of artichoke hearts without any extra flavoring. They're quite yummy. Tear them up as you go so you can spread the leaves around a bit.
4. Grate some mozzarella on top.
5. Broil until the cheese is melted (or, if you're me, until you've turned around and helped your kids for 5 minutes so that by the time you pull it out the edges are charred).
Voila. So easy, so yummy, and tons of veggies. You're gonna need to fold the pieces in half to eat them, and they'll be messy anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment